Wednesday 18 April 2012

In preschool they have jam

"Scones dont have cheese in them, they have jam".  At 3, Milly is an expert in everything.  In her head, I know she says "FACT" at the end of every sentence as she rolls her eyes at my utter ignorance.  I explain the difference between savory and sweet scones and I think I may have won this battle for now.

The reason for this discussion is a recipe I've had for a while for cheese scones.  I cant remember where it came from now, somewhere from the web I imagine, but it uses American cups which I've never really got my head around.  I've kept it because, unlike traditional scone recipes, it uses oil instead of butter which makes it easier for little fingers to do solo.  A recent trip to the supermarket and an offer on various cooking equipment meant I could finally try it out.  So here it is:

Jam free cheese scones

2 cups plain flour
3 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup mature cheddar cheese
1 egg
140ml full fat milk (use semi skimmed if thats what you have)
3 tsp vegetable oil

Preheat the oven.  I put our fan oven on at 170 so adjust accordingly (sorry, I only know my own oven!)

Stir together the sifted flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  The recipe calls for a cup, but Mill decided she was going to squash the grated cheddar in so we probably ended up with closer to 1 1/2 cups minus the bits that she decided were ok to taste.  Stir into the flour.

In another bowl mix together the egg and milk (retain a little to brush over the tops) and add the oil.  Convince your child that licking the whisk would be a bad idea.

Close your eyes and allow your child to pour the wet mix into the dry.  Exhale once the process is complete.  Mix together with a fork before getting your hands stuck in.  Add euuuuuuuuuggggggggghhhhh sound effects.

Once you have a dough, turn out on to a floured surface and squash until it is about 2cm thick.  Double back on to itself and squash a little more.   Cut using an upturned glass and place on a baking tray.

Paint the top of the scones with milk and give each a grated cheese hairstyle.

Put the scones in the oven and do the dishes before madam insists that being a frog and hopping around the kitchen is a good idea.  This should last about 20 minutes by which time the scones will be firm to the touch, and a lovely golden colour.  Break open (the folding should allow you to do this), spread a little butter and a slice of cheese and enjoy warm.





..."Scones have jam, this is a burger".  *sigh*

No comments:

Post a Comment